Fachschaft Mathematik Informatik Logo

Fachschaft Mathematik/Informatik

FAQ Studies

How does 'study abroad' work?

The university of Paderborn offers several possibilities to study abroad at abroad partner universities and partner colleges. You may read up on offers in the International Office (IO) or the delegates for studies abroad in our departments  Mrs Domik (Computer Science) or Mr Hilgert (Mathematics).

Once every year in several phases the IO publishes ads for every region for the following academic year. You may apply for these ads. To find out about the detailed process, please contact the IO or visit their weekly consultation hours. On the Internations Office's homepage you will find numerous field reports from former participants.

What is the minor study field for?

All students of computer science and mathematics have to choose a minor study field. The minor study field should wide your general knowledge. This should ease later integration into professional life. For example the minor study field electrical engineering may teach you basic knowledge to ease your later collective work.

From what minor study fields may I choose with my major in mathematics?

Information on common minor study fields for the major mathematics you may find here.

From what minor study fields may I choose with my major in computer science?

The variety for common minor study fields with major in computer science depends on the exact examination regulations. You can find them here. Non-common minor study fields need to be approved by the examination committee.

What to do, if want a non-common minor study field?

Generally you may choose every subject for you minor study field, that has a sufficient amount of lectures and seminars at the university of Paderborn and that has a clear connection to your major field. Your justified request has to be approved by the examination committee. However, if you choose a non-common minor study field, you have to expect timing overlaps with your major field lectures. In our office you can read a few approved minor study field request.

When do I have to decide for a minor study field?

Your minor study field counts as officially valid when you take your first minor field exam (however there are exceptions). Generally you have the possibility to try your minor study field out to check if you like it. In the mathematics course the minor field should be started in your semester. In the computer science course you should start your minor field in the third semester with exception of the minor field mathematics, where there are already lectures in the first semester.

Am I able to switch my minor study field?

With mathematics or cpmputer science as your major field you are able to switch your minor field once. After that you are not able to switch it anymore. Lectures of your new minor field have to be caught up.

What do the different types of seminars mean and which of them do I have to take?

In general there are three types of seminars:


  • The proseminar is the simplest type of seminars. The focus lies on independent development and presentation of specific topics, as well as writing a scientific paper. Computer science: one proseminar in the second part of the bachelor course. Mathematics: one proseminar in the basic studies. Technical mathematics: no proseminar.
  • The seminar is addressed to advanced students. The focus lies less on procedure than on topics. Computer science: at least one, at most two seminars in the master course. Mathematics: two seminars in the advanced studies. Technical mathematics: one seminar in the advanced studies.
  • The advanced seminar (Oberseminar) is addressed to all interested students. Commonly theses and degrees are presented here. Additionally guest lecturers and assistants hold talks about the current state of research. Even if there are no certificates for this activity, you may learn about many things.

What is the regular study duration for my course?

Teaching courses and diploma studies have a regular study period of 9 semesters. The new bachelor and master courses have a summed up regular study duration of 10 semesters. The bachelor course has a regular study duration of 6 semesters and the master course has a regular study duration of 4 semesters. Therefore, there is the possibility to finish university after 6 semester with a bachelor degree.

However, you should not misinterpret the term "regular study duration". There is the joke, the regular study duration is "the duration one regulary does not finish". The term actually only describes the longest period one may receive national student loan (BAföG). The average duration of studies depends on the subject and lies between 11 and 14 semesters.

What does my regular course program look like?

That's a tough question, because this depends on your course of studies, semester, examination regulations and passed lectures. The best way is to check your examination regulations and example or regular course programs:

Consultation is given by Mr Ernst (D1.243) for diploma degree in mathematics and technical mathematics, by Mr Szwillus for computer science and computer science for engineers, Mr Ernst also for teaching degrees for secondary schools in mathematics and Mr Magenheim for teaching degrees for secondary schools in computer science. Of course you also may visit us in our office (E1.311) and ask for help. We do not know every little detail of every course, but we might find out who can help you.

Do I have to explicitly register for exams?

Generally you have to register for exams in PAUL. If the registration is not possible, you might register by form in your respective examination office.

Prüfungssekeratariat Mathematik C 2.326

Prüfungssekretariat Informatik C 2.332

Pay attention to the registration periods! Registration periods will be published by your registration office and announced in your lecture.

Wie komme ich an meine Prüfungsordnung (PO) ran und wie finde ich heraus, welche für mich gültig ist?

Mathematiker schauen bitte hier.
Technomathematiker schauen bitte hier.
Informatiker schauen bitte hier.

Wie entstehen Prüfungsordnungen? Wer entwirft sie?

Der Fakultätsrat (FR) setzt für ein jeweiliges Fach einen so genannten Prüfungsausschuss (PA) ein. Dieser erstellt nach Rahmenordnungen des Landes bei Bedarf Ergänzungen zu bestehenden beziehungsweise komplett neu Studien- und Prüfungsordnungen.

Bachelor- und Masterstudiengänge müssen außerdem akkredietiert werden. Was eine Akkreditierung ist und wie sie abläuft könnt ihr hier nachlesen.

Wer ist für die Anerkennung von Prüfungsleistungen zuständig?

Für die Anerkennung von Leistungen sind die jeweiligen Vorsitzenden der Prüfungsausschüsse (PAs) zuständig.

Prüfungsausschuss Mathematik

Prüfungsausschuss Technomathematik

Prüfungsausschuss Informatik

Wer erkennt mein Praktikum an?

Einen Praktikumsschein, den man dann beim Prüfungssekretariat einreichen kann erhält man nach Abschluss des Praktikums beim Praktikumsbeauftragten (zur Zeit: Prof. Engels).

Wo finde ich Informationen über die Vorkurse?

Informationen zu Vorkursen der Mathematik findet ihr hier.